Health Disparity Presentation
This is a two-part assignment that includes a presentation and a paper. This activity allows you to explore a specific population and the related health outcomes and disparities for that population.
The first part of the assignment includes a presentation, which is the basis for your final paper. Another component to the presentation includes in-depth peer-review feedback to improve the final paper due a few weeks after. The second part of the assignment is a paper that incorporates the information from the presentation with improvements that you received during the feedback process and content learned as you progressed through the course.
(See the course Canvas for specific deadlines on this assignment.)
The following are details on the presentation and paper.
Part 1: Presentation
Choose a target population that addresses health outcomes, disparities, and the strategies implemented.
Develop a PowerPoint presentation that outlines your findings. Be sure to format your presentation according to APA and include a reference slide.
• Presentation criteria:
o Overview of Target Population
• Background of population
• How the population is defined
• Size of the population
• Social and demographic characteristics of the population
o Health Outcomes and Disparities
• Analysis of two negative health outcomes and disparities present in the target population
• Explanation of why that exists in the population, prevalence in the population, and historical trends (i.e., has it gotten better or worse in recent decades)
o Social Determinants
• Identify social determinants of health (SDOH) that most closely associates with the negative health outcome and health disparity in the population.
• Describe how SDOH is related to the health outcome and disparities.
• Identify and discuss strategies identified or initiated to address negative health outcome and disparities.
• Include any public (local, state, or federal government) or private programs addressing the health disparity.
• Include a critique of strategies and identified program effectiveness.
• Address any identified barriers to population’s use of intervention.